Though the implementation was technical, Risk Focus was ultimately recruited by the business unit at the Deutsche Börse to provide an implementation of their service, requiring us to determine and implement both technical and business requirements. The stakeholder group also included the internal client IT team and the Bafin (German Financial Regulator), as the choice of technology, infrastructure and cloud provider was decided in tandem with all three groups.
Risk Focus’s deep domain knowledge in Regulatory Reporting and Financial Services was crucial to understanding and proposing a viable solution to the client’s need that satisfied all stakeholders. That domain expertise in combination with Risk Focus’s technology acumen then allowed for delivery of the service under very tight constraints.
The client hardware procurement timelines and costs precluded the option to develop and test on-premises. Instead, Risk Focus developed, tested and certified the needed infrastructure in AWS and applied the resulting topology and tuning recommendations for the onsite infrastructure.
For Deutsche Börse Risk Focus:
- Proposed a radical infrastructure overhaul of the client systems that included the replacement of their existing Qpid bus with Confluent Kafka, involving architecture changes and configuration tuning.
- Implemented an automated CI/CD system that built both environment and application to find the optimal configuration, allowing developers and testers to create production-scale infrastructure on-demand cost- and time-effectively.
Finding optimal configuration required executing hundreds of performance tests with 100s of millions of messages flowing through a complex mission-critical infrastructure, and it would have been impossible in the few weeks available without the elasticity and repeatability provided by AWS.
Additional 3rd party technology used for this solution included:
- Docker Swarm: client chosen Docker orchestration framework
- Redis: in-memory cache
- Confluent Kafka: scalable replay log
- TICK: monitoring framework
- Greylog: log aggregation
- Jenkins: CI/CD pipeline